Your Subtitle text

History

Since 1926, the pioneering Aldasoro family has made this valley their home, raising sheep and living in harmony with the cycles of nature. Joaquin, Miguel and Bernardo, the original Aldasoro Brothers, left their Basque homeland in the Spanish Pyrenees 80 years ago and traveled land and sea to herd sheep in eastern Utah. Seeking summer pasture, they moved the herds up into the San Juan Mountains and discovered Telluride, where they embarked upon their American dream.

Their first purchase, in 1926, consisted of a small plot of land on Deep Creek Mesa. They labored long and hard and prospered over the years, acquiring 11 of the surrounding homesteads which together became known as Aldasoro Ranch. At its peak operation, the ranch included 5,000 acres and supported thousands of sheep.

Today the third generation of Aldasoros and their children run sheep with help from other sheep ranchers in the region on the site where the Aldasoro Brothers operation was headquartered. The Aldasoro Ranch subdivision density only allowed for 166 home sites over a total of 1,550 acres to assure you the exclusiveness and peacefulness of a true mountain lifestyle, both today and for a lifetime of tomorrow.


Remine Creek runs through the middle of the Aldasoro Ranch, named for Lon Remine who patented the Navike Placer in 1887 between the Keystone placer and the Hogg Ranch. He was often credited as being the first white man to settle the Telluride Valley.  He came in 1872 before the Brunot treaty was legalized.  He became an eccentric and well-loved or feared hermit in his later years. His brother Bill came and worked the Keystone placer with him but they stopped talking to each other over arguments about the Civil War which they fought on opposite sides.  


The Hogg Ranch was originally patented in 1890 by Herschel M. Hogg usually referred to as Honorable H. M. Hogg who was Telluride’s City Attorney from 90-98 and San Miguel County Attorney from 90-92.  He was instrumental in the arguments against Governor Peabody when he declared martial law in 1904 to quell the Miner’s Union Strike, and later served on the 58th and 59th congress as a Republican from 1902-1907. While in Congress he authored the Bill that made Mesa Verde a National Park. The ranch has been sold several times used as a dairy, storage, a place to keep livery animals, and sheep.


The Breckenridge Place is another one of the homesteads the Aldasoro Brothers acquired and has an interesting history of its own. The original home and some of the out buildings have been restored by the Aldasoros in their original location, now part of the Aldasoro Ranch Open Space. The Breckenridge Place was originally patented in 1893 by the Breckenridge Brothers. Reese and Walt lived there together much of the time until the property was sold in the late 1930’s.  Walter was primarily a rancher and at one time the ranch was reported to be almost 1000 acres under fence with 400 acres of barley.  Reese was primarily a muleskinner and a miner he worked the family mine called the Royal mine patented by his father up in Bridal Veil basin, ran a corral out of Pandora for his mules, and went to the Klondike for a couple of years during the gold Rush.  Their Father Thomas E. Breckenridge was on three of Fremont’s expeditions including the one that started the Bear Flag rebellion that freed California to become a US Territory, and the fateful 4th expedition that ended in 11 out of 33 men dying of cold and starvation.  Their father and their mother, Elizabeth Margaret, also lived part time on the ranch until their deaths.  Margaret came on the train from Hannibal MO almost every year to spend the summer here until she was 87 years old.

Website Builder